Multiple milestones for Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre
July 19, 2019
In a year of milestones, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC) is celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Melbourne Convention Centre, along with one year since opening its new expansion space.
MCEC Chief Executive, Peter King said the expansion has been a great addition to the venue, increasing MCEC’s economic impact.
“In the 2018/19 year, we have contributed more than $1.10 billion in economic impact to the state of Victoria,” Mr King said.
“The expansion has exceeded all expectations, we’ve been inundated with interest and our golden expansion has already become an iconic addition to the Melbourne skyline.
“In the last seven years we’ve more than doubled our revenue and we are on track to exceed $100 million next year.”
Since the official opening in July 2018, MCEC’s expansion has hosted 247 events including a diverse range of meetings, conferences and exhibitions.
The Melbourne Convention Centre was officially opened on 5 June 2009, by former Premier of Victoria, the Hon. John Brumby AO who now presides as Chairman of the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Trust (MCET).
Mr Brumby said the venue had already created a lasting legacy through its significant contribution to the Victorian visitor economy.
“Since opening in 2009, the Melbourne Convention Centre has become an iconic Melbourne events destination hosting over 7,000 events and welcoming millions of visitors through its doors,” Mr Brumby said.
“The growing success of MCEC is testament to the strong partnerships we have across the Victorian Government and our precinct partners, Plenary Group.”
Plenary Group Chairman John O’Rourke congratulated MCEC on the milestone, highlighting the whole-of-precinct approach taken while planning the original project.
“We knew the long-term success of MCEC, for Melburnians and visitors alike, would turn on the sort of precinct created around it,” Mr O’Rourke said.
“Our masterplan envisioned the complete transformation of an industrial site into the active tourism and events destination it is today, which was borne out of the $1 billion private sector investment in a hotel and retail commercial development.
“The outstanding success of the precinct is evidenced by a further $150 million private sector investment in the recent expansion project, including the construction of a second hotel.
“We thank the Victorian Government, MCET Chairman the Hon John Brumby AO, MCEC Chief Executive Peter King and the whole MCEC team for partnering with us on this journey and congratulate them on the important economic contribution this precinct makes to Melbourne and Victoria.”