MCEC strives to reduce waste
September 24, 2019
The Melbourne Convention Exhibition Centre (MCEC) is taking substantial steps to reduce their environmental impact through waste reduction initiatives. The MCEC is renowned for their high-profile commercial kitchen and they are proud of their initiatives to more sustainable, including:
- Taking a leadership position to replace
- Banning plastic straws and plastic bottles. As a result, 30,000 straws and 500,000 bottles has been diverted from landfill.
- Prioritising waste reduction with an onsite organic dehydrator to reduce the volume of organic waste by 75-80 per cent.
- The MCEC only use biodegradable coffee cups and lids. Plus, they are the first convention centre in the world to recycle Nespresso pods. That saves 65,000 pods from ending up in landfill.
- Their community partnership with OZHarvest ensures the redistribution of 38,660 meals through a food rescue donation program.
Learn more https://mcec.com.au/about-us/sustainability