As AIME 2019 is fast approaching on the business events calendar, Melbourne is getting ready to host the leading trade event in the Asia Pacific region and discovering the breadth and depth of this marvellous city will form part of the whole AIME experience.
If you find the time to uncover Melbourne’s hidden gems this list will help you finding your way around, with many options close to the Melbourne Convention Exhibition Centre (MCEC) where you will spend most of your time.
See you soon!
Fast Facts about Melbourne
- Victoria’s capital, Melbourne is located around the shores of Port Phillip Bay. The city itself sits beside the Yarra River, about five kilometres from the bay
- Average temperature in Melbourne during summer is 25˚C/78˚F
- Melbourne’s time zone is Australian Eastern Standard Time – GMT plus 10 hours
- Daylight savings occurs from 7 October 2018 to 7 April 2019
- The currency is the Australian Dollar. Currency exchanges are available at Melbourne Airport, banks and other locations throughout the city
- Enjoy Free tram zone in the city. Hop on a tram for free and you will get anywhere in the city, while enhancing your experience with free Wi-Fi available within the city centre.
- If you prefer exploring by foot, Melbourne is the perfect walking city as is set in a compact grid layout.
Below, three luxurious accommodation options all located within walking distance to the MCEC and close to an array of dining options next to the Yarra River. You will enjoy delicious food combined with stunning water and city views.
Wine and dine
Melbourne is renowned as a foodie haven with a myriad of restaurants, inner city pubs, laneway bars, hatted dining rooms and coffee shops. Should you have some free time, get to one of these restaurants to have a taste of Melbourne’s famous culinary scene.
Have a taste of modern German fare, Bavarian hospitality mixed with contemporary design. Combine great food and drinks, stunning location opposite the MCEC and excellent service.
Experience sharing style European cuisine designed to compliment the perfect pair of food & wine. Head to the South Wharf to taste Bohemian beautiful wines.
This is the ideal spot if you want to sample the best meats Victoria has to offer. Enjoy pasture fed beef from some of Australia’s best ethical producers and with the open kitchen you will get up close to the culinary action.
Enjoy a fine dining experience at this waterfront seafood restaurant which offers an indulgent menu of fresh, local and sustainably-sourced seafood.
Located in the centre of Melbourne’s famous art and fashion precinct, Flinders Lane, this restaurant offers exquisite modern cuisine in shared style dishes.
- Southbank Precinct – Melbourne’s bustling waterfront hub, renowned for restaurants, public art and stylish retailers.
- National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) – Australia’s oldest and pre-eminent public art museum.
- Melbourne Laneways – Discover hidden gems in Melbourne’s creative laneways.
- Melbourne Star – Experience unparalleled panoramic views of Melbourne in comfort.
- Docklands Precinct – A wide array of dining and entertainment options along the waterfront
We hope your time at AIME 2019 is only enhanced by your experience of Melbourne. Follow @melbourneconventionbureau and @aimemelbourne to keep updated!