Queen Victoria Market has announced it will change its trading hours for the first time in nearly 20 years, offering customers more consistency on weekdays and better convenience with an extra hour to shop the Market’s fresh produce and specialty shopping every weekend.
The new trading hours, which are strongly supported by traders, will come into effect from Tuesday 29 October 2019 after more than six months of consultation with the Market community.
The change in trading hours complements a number of other new initiatives implemented at the Market over the past six months aimed at improving customers’ shopping experience and ensuring the Market continues to adapt to the changing retail landscape.
New initiatives include:
• Last month, the Market announced a landmark partnership with online shopping and delivery service YourGrocer, allowing Melburnians to order fresh produce from the Market online and have it conveniently delivered to their door.
• In July this year, the Market opened the revitalised String Bean Alley with 26 unique retailers in bespoke shipping containers as part of the City of Melbourne’s $250 million renewal of the Queen Victoria Market precinct.
• In May, the Market banned single-use plastic bags and straws showing its commitment to sustainability and reducing the amount of plastic used at the Market.
Queen Victoria Market CEO, Stan Liacos said the new trading hours will offer Melburnians the opportunity to shop at the Market at times that better suit their ever-changing lifestyles.
“Our lifestyles and the way we shop are not the same as they were twenty years ago. The Market’s new trading hours will provide consistency and convenience for more customers to shop and enjoy Melbourne’s favourite market at times that best suit them.”
“This is yet another great example of how the Queen Victoria Market is moving with the times and adapting to meet the changing needs of both customers and traders,” said Mr Liacos.
Mr Liacos said he has already received positive feedback from a variety of traders including John Kikidis from Hellenic Deli whose family have been traders at the Market for more than 50 years.
“The change in trading hours will provide more consistency for shoppers to know when the Market is open and will allow more flexibility for them to visit on the weekend when they have more time to browse, shop and explore everything the Market has to offer,” said Mr Kikidis.
Other feedback from traders include:
• “There is real excitement in the air about the Market’s new hours. More uniform hours will help customers easily remember when the Market is open and longer hours on the weekend will encourage more hustle and bustle which we love.” – Bruce Pham, Bruce Goose Socks.
• “The new trading hours are another step forward in the right direction for the Market.” – Rocco Modaffari, The Eggsperts.
• “Being open later means we’ll be more aligned with when customers want to shop the Market and the customer is king.” – Luke Taylor, Melbourne City Meats.
Queen Victoria Market’s new trading hours from Tuesday 29 October 2019 are:
Tuesday: 6am – 3pm Saturday: 6am – 4pm
Thursday: 6am – 3pm Sunday: 9am – 4pm
Friday: 6am – 3pm
*Specialty shopping open from 9am every Market day