- MCEC’s expansion will result in a 25 per cent increase in event space
- The new event space is anticipated to generate an additional 74,000 international visitors annually, resulting in an annual $167 million boost to the Victorian economy
- The 1st Malaria World Congress was the first event held in the new space
Australia’s newest event space has arrived, with Acting Premier, James Merlino announcing Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre’s (MCEC) expansion site officially open.
The $205 million expansion was funded by the 2015-16 Victorian State Budget with building works commencing in 2016.
MCEC Chief Executive, Peter King said: “We have delivered a world-class facility that is functional, adaptable and aesthetically pleasing with a quality and sophistication that reflects the attributes of Melbourne.”
The expansion adds 20,000 square metres, increasing MCEC’s total size to 70,000 square metres, heralding the venue as Australia’s largest convention and exhibition space.
The expansion includes:
- The Goldfields Theatre - a 9,000 square metre multi-purpose event space with a retractable 1,000 seat theatre
- New exhibition halls
- Eureka meeting rooms
- Outdoor terrace area
- Sovereign Room banquet space
- and Goldfields Café and Bar.
“Victoria is the national leader when it comes to major business events and the new MCEC expansion will help us attract even more visitors to our state.” - Minister for Tourism and Major Events, The Hon. John Eren MP
The building design was a joint venture between architect firms: NH Architecture and Woods Bagot. MCEC took inspiration from Victoria’s rich history in determining names for key spaces within its expansion. The gold colour of the expansion’s exterior culminated in Victoria’s goldfields becoming the theme from which names would be drawn.
The expansion is part of a larger South Wharf expansion project by Plenary Group and its partners that includes a new 347-room Novotel Melbourne South Wharf and a new 1,150-space multi-level car park – all fully connected and integrated with existing buildings.